Thursday, January 24

CLEP and Rain

I sit here at my computer while the rain turns to hail outside my window. I can't help but smile. I sat outside under the protection of an overhang and watched the rain pour and puddle on the ground this morning. A professor of mine passed me and asked me why I’d be outside on such a cold day. I just smiled.

I love water. Especially rain. Many people here on campus have been complaining about the rainfall that is pounding our campus hourly this week. Everyone runs to get inside and escape the wet weather. I’d rather be outside in the falling water. Water reminds me of God’s goodness in several ways. Rain is something that God has used to remind me of his goodness so many times.

Today as I watched the rain fall across North Campus, I sat on a bench and thought about God’s grace. I’ve heard a verse several times recently in chapel and at church: And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth… And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace (John 1.14,16). God pours grace out to us, and water creates a picture in my mind of that grace. As I look out as far as I can see today water continually falls from the sky. How much more does God pour out his grace upon us? I have been overwhelmed by God’s grace this week – and watching the continual rain come out of seemingly inexhaustible clouds reminds me of the limitless grace God gives to us because of His Son’s sacrifice for us.

Can I ever understand God’s grace? Last semester I heard a sermon on Titus 2.11-14 that was amazing. It says “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

Back to water… In Matthew 5, Jesus said that God gives rain to the just and the unjust. The Lord gives salvation to His chosen, but he even gives grace to the reprobate. The Lord gives us rain (water) to survive. I think also of my experiences with springs; in Zion, Utah; Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Burney Falls, California. I don’t know how many of you have been next to a spring, but it’s an awesome experience seeing water pour forth from rocks or the ground. Again, springs remind me of the Lord’s supply of grace to us.

Finally, today I took the English Literature CLEP test. By God’s grace I passed it! It was so encouraging this morning to see God’s grace in my test and in the rain. And, yesterday was encouraging as well. Had a nice time of fellowship with my ‘brother’ and had a good conversation with Siona. This is too long… so go out in the rain, and praise the Lord for His grace to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...good job!!!
AE & GE & EE :)