Thursday, August 9

A Huge Blessing

It has been over a week since I have returned to the States, and I feel it is time to do some sort of “short” recap of what happened in Kazakhstan.

I left for Almaty, Kazakhstan nearly a month ago. July 12 I left San Francisco for my ‘other’ home. It was so sweet to reunite with my brothers and sisters. I felt home, even though my ‘real’ home was so far away. Our full ministry did not really begin until Monday of that week (we arrived on Saturday morning). The first week we spent our mornings serving alongside Resurrection Church hosting a VBS and spent our afternoons and evenings teaching English. It was not unusual for me to wake up between 4 and 5am and fall to sleep between 12 and 1am.

But this weakness allowed me to see God’s faithfulness and strength! Isaiah 40 was a huge encouragement to me: “Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” I can’t explain to you how awesome it was to see God’s amazing faithfulness to me in giving me strength, in giving me energy. I so wanted to pass out and collapse so many times, but God provided energy for me to serve. I was pressed for strength at VBS and English Club especially, but when I hit my lowest I could see His power in my weakness.

Another verse that encouraged me was Galatians 6 “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” I had to remember never to grow weary in doing in. Sleep can be such a temptation, laziness can be such a temptation, but I must never grow weary in doing good.

VBS was such an amazing experience for me this year. I served as a leader for the 7-9 year old gang. My group had a Kazakh leader (Ura), and then Ashley and I as leaders, and then 10-15 kids. I was blessed to gain three small friends. The first day two little kids, Muslim and Lusht, became my friends. The second day I gained my best little friend, Pasha. He had been pretty silent the first day, but I tried speaking to him in Russian, and he became my little buddy. I was so tired every morning, but God encouraged me to serve through His Word and these three little kids. Pasha had to be the cutest little kid I’d ever seen – one day he came up to me and asked me if I was his friend (eta moi druge?) and when I said ‘da’ he got so happy. I was so blessed. The last day he brought me a present, and Lena (the pastor’s wife) told me he’d been crying all night because he was afraid he wouldn’t see me again. Broke my heart! I was so sad to have to leave Pasha and the rest of the gang. It was so hard sometimes just physically to serve, but it was such a joy!

English Club was a little different this year, but God opened up some new opportunities. I helped teach Beginning English with Ashley and Kristen S. I love teaching beginners. It’s so much fun to act everything out with them. We teach English for about 3 hours, and then have ‘spiritual time’ with them afterwards. This year I got to share my testimony during spiritual time. It was so awesome to share my testimony in the country that God really worked on my heart. I wanted to share the joy that I now have with those who are darkened there. I also had the awesome blessing to share the gospel to my class! I had not expected to share it in class, but on the last day of classes Justin asked me to share. I had a horrible stomach that day, and was very nervous about being able to just stand up and give it. But about 10 mins before I was to share, God completely cleared my stomach, and I was able to share the gospel, the good news, with about 15 non believers! Slava Bogu!

The final days there were spent at the Bible Camp. This year’s camp was frustrating to me because of my lack of being able to communicate well, but it was still amazing to see God working through those from Resurrection Church. I think the partnership we have shone most brightly here. We passed off our work to them, and they have much more work ahead of them.

It’s always so hard coming home, wondering if it all really happened. I am here in my kitchen in Pittsburg, more than 13,000 miles from my home. I must remind myself that God is here and there, and all over the world bringing people to Himself! It was such a blessing and joy to return to Almaty and serve Him again there. It was so much harder physically this year, but I was able to grow in my trust in God by seeing His awesome and unwavering faithfulness daily, hourly. What an amazing God we serve! His love is all too beautiful to understand, is it not? I went to serve, and yet God blessed me more than I can write. Yes I served, oh how much work it was at times, but what joy did I find in Christ and in serving Him! I felt so low several times at Bible Camp, but He reminded me that He’s always in control, always there.

Slava Bogu!

No comments: