Sunday, January 31

In the Beginning of the End

Well, two weeks down.

Its been quite a while since I've posted here. About 8 months. Wow, no one is probably checking anymore, but I thought I'd write anyway.

I finished my second week of what will, Lord willing, be my last semester in grad school. Its going to crazy. About 75 books, 2 extremely difficult tests, and a multitude of ariticles, papers, and assignments. So far this has been a very awesome semester of homework, though. haha! I'm taking classes on modern German history, Byzantium, nineteenth century world, and taking my tests in modern American and Soviet. In each I get to look at church history! Its so incredible! In what seems like such a field dominated by secular interests I have seen Christ honored in each of my classes in readings. German: God's providence in the translation of the Bible into the vernacular, and the rediscovery of Biblical salvation. Byzantine: despite the hypocracy and blaspheme of the time, the Lord still honored his name in various ways. World: I get to write a paper on English missionaries in South Africa, New Zealand, China, and India. In my research I'm reading 1800s journals of missionaries seeing the mighty hand of God working to bring children to himself. Soviet: the good old Soviets tried to kill god. They failed. God is alive and powerful. Modern US: I get to study church history from 1865-present. Despite the liberal theology that has grasped our faith today and despite the arguement that there are more atheists and less believers - God has preserved his church and true believers through each and every generation.

I think of Eph 3: Now to him who is able to do far more adundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work in us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Oh the blessings of studying history! Who can claim that it is dull? It is the workings of our great God who is constantly revealing himself to generation after generation of those saved by grace. History is not fatalistic - it has an ending. Its ending is the complete glorification of our Lord Jesus Christ!

In church I am moving towards ministry towards teachers instead of the children. As of today I will no longer be teaching regularily. Oh, I had a blessed 'last' day of teaching! God is good! My children asked me some amazing questions, and God gave me wisdom and passion to answer their questions. We talked on the giving of the Word, the preservation of the Word, the humility of Christ, and the judgment in the end days and the glory that will given to Christ! Kind of broad, but the Spirit was moving the lessons along so well. I have seldom seen the children ask questions like today, and I have seldom had verses and answers come to powerfully. God was at work today! We made palm branches in class to act out the triumphal entry of Christ into Jerusalem. My brothers and sisters reading this - please ponder how utterly amazing it will be to honor Christ in all his majesty when he returns!

There have been trials and hardships this month, the rejection of Christ by several of my friends, sickness, business. But, God is a faithful fortress and shield and a help and a rock to those that run to him! Psalm 18.

Solo deo gloria.

No comments: